Volunteering at the Heard Museum is an experience unlike any other. As the volunteer arm of the museum, members of the Heard Museum Guild support a wide range of activities that enrich the vibrancy of the museum and enhance its well-deserved reputation as a leading arts institution. From assisting with guided tours to contributing at the Heard Museum Shop and information desk, there’s a meaningful role waiting for you.
As a member of the Guild, you can choose from a vast array of interests that capture your skills, talents and imagination and involve as much or as little time as you wish to devote. Whether you can spare a few hours for special events or commit to regular time each week, you’ll find fulfilling opportunities.
Why volunteer at the Heard Museum?
We’ll give you our top 4 reasons:
- Find deep and enduring friendships within the Guild membership and staff of the museum.
- Take advantage of a robust calendar of events featuring speakers, museum activities, and travel opportunities. These experiences deepen your understanding of American Indian culture, art, history and contemporary issues facing Native communities.
- Gain exclusive insights into the Heard Museum’s extraordinary collection and exhibitions directly from our curators.
- Enjoy special perks like discounts at the Museum Shops, Courtyard Café and Coffee Cantina as a valued Heard Museum Guild volunteer.
Volunteer roles are available in the following areas:
- Guiding: Share your passion for art and culture by leading guided tours for our visitors.
- Information Desk: Orient visitors to the exhibits, answer questions, and discuss Native art and culture.
- Library research: Contribute to our educational resources through research and cataloging.
- Museum shops: Assist visitors in finding unique treasures in our Museum Shops.
- Special events: Participate in exciting events such as the Indian Fair & Market and Youth Art Show & Sale.
Levels of Involvement
Within the Guild, there are two levels of membership:
- Individual – Individual members receive all of the benefits of Active membership and are expected to provide some hours of volunteer service as long as they maintain their Heard Museum membership. Name badge included.
- Lifetime – Lifetime members enjoy all the benefits of Guild membership as long as they maintain their Heard Museum membership.
Becoming the chair of a committee or assuming responsibility for an activity or event moves one to a higher level of involvement. Those interested in becoming even more involved can enroll in a six-month training program to become a docent. Finally, one can take on a leadership role by becoming an officer or member of the Guild’s Board of Directors.
Las Guias Training Program for Guides
Ready to become a Heard Museum guide? Watch our informative video to get acquainted with our thorough training program and learn how to get in touch with us.