An old black and white photo of a building.

Current Exhibition

Heard Museum History in the 1929 Gallery

Running through December 31, 2024

Monday – Sunday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Artboard

Save 10% by purchasing online tickets in advance.

Buy Tickets

Five brief lines in the Arizona Republican newspaper announced the opening of the Heard Museum on December 26, 1929. As the museum approaches its 100th anniversary, a brief history of the decades that led the museum to the present is offered in a sunlit gallery on the second floor of the museum’s original building.

A newspaper ad for the hard museum to open.
Newspaper announcement from 1929
An old photo of a man and woman sitting on a bench.
Maie and Dwight Heard at her family’s home in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, c. 1920.
Maie Bartlett Heard and Dwight Bancroft Heard collected Indigenous art on their world travels, and in the early 1920s, they decided to share their collection with the public in a museum they would build adjacent to their home. A plan of the museum’s original galleries indicates that American Indian art was featured on the museum’s ground floor, with art from Asia and Africa on the second floor.

The exhibition features sculpture by leading American Indian artists Allan Houser (Chiricahua [Warm Springs] Apache), his son Bob Haozous (Chiricahua Apache/Diné), and Doug Hyde (Nez Perce/Assiniboine/Chippewa). The sculpture speaks to healing themes of family, care, peace and beauty that epitomize the strength of Indigenous people looking from the present into the future.

From the Exhibition

  • A group of people on horses.
    Maie Heard (second from left) and son Bartlett on a 1907 family trip to Yosemite.
  • A drawing of a site plan for an apartment complex.
    The Heard Museum is located at the upper right in this arial view of the Heard property. A covered walkway connects the museum to the Heards’ guest house.