The Heard joined several other midtown Phoenix arts venues grouped in the Central Arts District on March 4 to celebrate the formal dedication of the Central Arts Plaza.
Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton cut a ribbon dedicating the plaza, a garden and amphitheater venue just outside the former Viad Tower, 1850 N. Central Ave., which combined have been designated by the city as centerpieces of the Central Arts District.
The district was formally established in May 2014. It includes the Heard Museum, Phoenix Art Museum, Arizona Opera, Phoenix Theatre, Phoenix Center for the Arts, Playhouse on the Park, Phoenix Community Alliance, Arizona School for the Arts, Hance Park Conservancy and Metro Arts Institute high school, as well as the 24-story tower. Its boundaries are Virginia Avenue on the north, Roosevelt Street on the south, and Seventh Street and Seventh Avenue on the east and west, respectively.
Now called the Central Arts Plaza Tower, the building, which opened in 1990, is owned by McCarthy Cook, a real estate investment and development firm. The building will continue to house the headquarters of the Viad Corporation.
Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton gets help from members of the Rose Lane Elementary School choir in cutting a ribbon dedicating the Central Arts Plaza at 1850 N. Central Ave., Phoenix, on March 4. The plaza and Central Arts Tower are designated by the city as centerpieces of the Central Arts District, a consortium of arts venues including the Heard Museum.