First Fridays at the Heard: ‘Cosplay Ball’ and Super Heroes!
Native + You: June
Don your best cosplay duds for the Cosplay Ball in the Steele Auditorium and celebrate the new summer exhibit, Super Heroes: Art! Action! Adventure!
The Haymarket Squares will perform for First Friday: Native + You ‘Cosplay Ball’
We’re happy to announce that the evening’s music will be provided by The Haymarket Squares, a Phoenix-based “punkgrass” band. Their Facebook page says they are “armed with tight vocal harmonies, bluegrass instruments and a heaping dose of righteous anger,” and have “developed a loyal following among folks who appreciate rabble-rousing lyrics wrapped in a catchy melody.”
Dance from 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.Â Enjoy the evening in the company of other cosplay fans.Â Cost for the ball: $15 (which includes admission to Super Heroes). The Cosplay Ball is a 21 and up event.
Purchase tickets here.
Dinner… and drinks
But before you dance, enjoy dinner in our Courtyard Cafe. It’s remaining open late for First Friday, as usual!
The evening’s specialty cocktail will consist of vodka and pineapple made green with a secret ingredient. (Don’t worry, Superman, it isn’t that.) And the evening’s food menu will include tasty items that pay homage to some rather well-known super heroes, including a Super Hero Super Spread hummus and chips!
AND — compete in a costume contest for fabulous prizes in these categories:
- Best original character
- Best adapted character
- Best costume craftsmanship
- Best groupÂ
- Offensive language of any kind is not allowedâ€”no racial or sexual epithets; no profanity, etc. this includes messages on signs or clothes.
- Be clever, not crass! If you think your costume or presentation might be too risquĂ© or offensive, it probably is.
- No using stage time to make political, religious, insulting or other demonstrations not related to your entry.
- No excessive violence.
- No sexual activity or contactâ€”real or implied.
- No nudity â€” No costume is no costume.
- If you need to throw something during your presentation clear it in advance with Heard Museum staff.
- No fire, smoke, flashpots, explosive devices, messy substances, lasers, pressurized gases or liquids.
- All prop weapons must be peace bonded and approved.
- All weapons must be non-working and peace bonded. No functioning projectile weapons â€“ including water pistols, silly-string guns and ping-pong pistols. Bladed weapons must be cased or sheathed at all times.
- You may surprise the audience, but NEVER SURPRISE THE CREW.
- By registering for the Cosplay Contest, all participants agree to allow the Heard Museum to use their images for promotional purposes, both photographs and video.
- The Heard Museum reserves the right to remove any individual not in compliance with these rules during the Cosplay Ball without providing a refund of the admission ticket.
Meanwhile, even if you’re not attending the Cosplay Ball, there’s still plenty of fun: Also enjoy face-painting and other fun activities (admission to Super Heroes is subject to a $5-per-person gate fee). More information soon!