The Heard Museum, the worldâs preeminent museum for the presentation, interpretation, and advancement of American Indian Art is looking for an experienced Director of Marketing and Communications to join our team. Please read the position description below and if you are a qualified, creative and high-energy candidate, please send a cover letter along with your resume to HR@heard.org. Please include the subject line: Director of Marketing and Communications.
Director of Marketing and Communications
Directs and manages marketing, advertising, media relations, public relations, and external communications, and implements strategies within these areas that promote the museum, its exhibits and its programming to targeted audiences in accordance with the goals of the museum. Supervises any positions/internships, employed or contracted, that are directly involved with museum marketing and communication. Develops and manages internal communications on all past, present and future Museum Marketing and PR.
Works with the Museums Marketing Partner to plan, budget and implement all media, communications, and advertising for all museum activities including exhibits, programming, festival events and projects identified through the strategic planning process. Working in a team environment, the successful candidate will effectively communicate with target audiences to achieve preset goals for the assigned projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Marketing: Develops, implements and manages the museums marketing strategy developed with the museums marketing partner and Executive staff. Advances the marketing strategy with the Executive Team, Creative Director and Marketing Partner.
- Communications: Manages all external museum communications and promotes clear internal communications on all marketing and messaging for the museumâs exhibits, programs, events. Works closely with staff and/or volunteer project leaders who are in charge of the projects assigned. Manages all content and posting of social media and digital communications. Ability to understand the sensitive nature of art as it relates to cultures and political climates.
- Media Relations: Oversees all media relations efforts with Marketing Partner and ensures that media are aware of and writing/reporting about the museumâs exhibits and programs. Oversight of proper writing and editing of media materials including news releases and calendar announcements for distribution to local and national media. Works with the Project Leader(s) to secure photographs to distribute to the media and to use in publications.
- Market and Visitor Research: Develops and manages market and visitor research to acquire analytics and profiles of visitors and museum consumers. Develops evaluations that will direct all communications efforts including public relations, marketing, and advertising. Evaluates visitorsâ experience and gauges whether programs are meeting their objectives. Communicates visitor data to staff to increase overall effectiveness. Evaluates the effectiveness of marketing and communications strategies on an ongoing basis. Keeps staff focused on reaching and evaluating target audiences in an efficient, balanced and effective way.
- Budget: General oversight of all budgets of the Marketing Department. Direct management of the budget for projects assigned. Oversees the Marketing budgets and works with Marketing Partner to ensure effective spending for advertising, marketing, and PR.
- Administrative: Oversees all activities of Museum Marketing and activities as needed.
Duties that support areas of responsibilities, but are not limited to the following:
- Museum liaison with our contracted marketing partner.
- Approve invoices for all museum marketing/advertising in accordance with the budget.
- Use âAsanaâ portal/app to track all graphics projects.
- Manage Social Media presence. Review graphics and photography for Facebook and Instagram posts. Maintain social media engagement through commenting, managed âtakeoversâ and sponsored posts. Review analytics and adjust tactics as needed.
- Review concepts for print, digital and outdoor advertising.
- Act as media support to facilitate onsite visits and other media requests.
- Undertake continuous analysis of the competitive environment and consumer trends.
- Prepare data collection and analytics for reports to executive staff.
- Help with staffing during events and festivals as needed.
At least 5 years of Lead Marketing and Communications Management for a large organization required
Selected applicant must pass a background check to qualify for employment. This position is full-time, exempt.
CafĂ© Front of House Supervisor
Responsible, reliable, professional, mature person needed to run FOH for a busy lunchtime cafĂ©. This is an hourly position and the successful candidate must be willing to work weekends and First Friday nights with an open and flexible schedule.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Schedules (Servers, hostess, supervisors, storage
- Assist FOH staff during service
- Help hire
- Monitor food leaving kitchen
- Handle customer complaints/issues
- Communicate any relevant information to ALL cafĂ© staff
- Make sure cafĂ© is fully stocked with office supplies
- Fill out daily log
- Nightly cash-out paperwork
- Lead and Direct
1-year full-service restaurant management required
Selected applicant must pass a background check to qualify for employment. This position is full-time, non-exempt.
Send resumĂ© to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: CafĂ© Front of House Supervisor.
Exhibition Design Manager
The Exhibition Design Manager is a staff position responsible for overall planning and design of all exhibit projects and for insuring that the projects meet high museum-quality standards, timely completion and budget discipline.
- Manage exhibit design schedules for planning and execution purposes for 7-12 exhibits per year.
- Research and design exhibitions. Generate plans and drawings in AutoCad to visualize exhibit layouts with strategic input from the Curator, Museum Director and Exhibit Design Team members.
- Manage the Exhibit Preparator and contracted labor to guide the design of exhibit and any in-house construction, fixtures and treatments.
- Work with Graphic Designers to incorporate graphics and signage both within the exhibit space and throughout the museum.
- Provide installation supervision and hands-on assistance during exhibit fabrication and construction to ensure design layouts, fit and finished materials meet quality standards.
- Attend department and staff programming meetings as needed.
- Advise senior staff on special projects that require space planning, AutoCad drawings and involve aesthetic decisions throughout the facility.
- Maintain Heard Museum high-quality aesthetic design standards.
- Generate, track and maintain all exhibit budgets to ensure proper allocation of funds and spending.
- Work with outside contractors and fabricators to design and develop casework and exhibition construction from the bid process to completion while achieving museum standards.
- Create project proposals and timelines for every exhibit.
- Present exhibit designs to the Exhibit Design Team using accurate visual and design documents.
- Problem solve to keep the highest standards while keeping the exhibitions on time and on budget.
- Expertise in 3D Studio Max and V-ray rendering environment, Adobe Creative Suite and Sketch Up a plus.
- Experience designing displays for museum artifacts and experience with large-scale interior and exterior installations.
- Excellent personal presentation and communication skills a must.
- Knowledge of production methods and evolving museum technologies are required.
Appropriate Bachelorâs degree in exhibit design, interior design, and museum studies with a concentration on exhibit design, or other related field from an accredited institution.
Three to five yearsâ work experience utilizing project management skills in a creative, multidisciplinary environment.
Must work well independently and in teams while maintaining a positive and respectful relationship with co-workers. Must be proficient in AutoCad with Adobe Creative Suite experience a plus. Ability to work on a PC and iMac that are networked in a file-sharing, hierarchical environment is also required. Must be able to work efficiently and have a high level of organization. Must be available 7 days a week.
This position is full-time, exempt.
Candidate must pass a background check.
Please send a resumĂ© and cover letter to email@example.com.