Development Event & Communications Manager
Location: Heard Museum, Phoenix, AZ
Grade: Full Time; Based on Experience
Job Description Summary:
The Heard Museum, one of Arizona’s preeminent cultural organizations, is seeking a highly organized, thoughtful, creative Development Event & Communications Manager, a new position for the museum. This position reports to the Associate Director of Development and works closely with the Membership & Circles Manager, Institutional Giving Manager, Development and Membership Coordinators, and colleagues across the museum. The Development Event & Communications Manager’s primary responsibilities include (1) logistical management and shared strategic oversight of fundraising and membership events, and (2) oversight of donor and Member communications including event invitations, mail and email solicitations, and donor stewardship.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
(1) Donor and Member events
Each year, the Heard’s Development & Membership team organizes over 30 events, including:
- Exhibition openings
- The Heard’s annual gala, Moondance
- Annual Grand Gallery Exhibition Fund dinner
- VIP opportunities at the World Championship Hoop Dance Contest and Indian Fair & Market
- Best of Show reception
- Board meetings and Committee meetings
- Members-only monthly collection conversations
The Development Event & Communications Manager helps to ensure their quality, success, and impact in building meaningful donor and Member relationships by:
- Monitoring annual budget and plans for events
- Developing and implementing additional donor cultivation and fundraising events as determined annually, including budget management, programming, catering, decoration, and promotion of each event.
- Managing the departmental calendar
- Serving as key departmental liaison to the Heard’s private events team, including updating information in internal EventPro software and attending event operations meetings
- In coordination with private events team, overseeing event logistics and timelines, contractor/vendor relationships, and interdepartmental collaboration
- Managing invitation and RSVP lists for all events
- Using Altru database to track event details, including invitations and RSVPs
- Ensuring general data integrity in Altru
- Developing new structures and processes to standardize event quality and maximize their impact, such as checklists, attendee briefings, debriefs, etc.
(2) Donor and Member communications
Through events, appeals, and stewardship, the Development Event & Communications Manager helps manage ongoing institutional communications with donors and Members, to ensure timeliness, quality, messaging, and impact. This includes:
- Ensuring the timely delivery of all external printed and digital collateral materials for Development and Membership events and appeals. This involves ongoing coordination with Marketing and Design team, Development and Membership teams, Private Events team, and other relevant stakeholders.
- Overseeing ongoing and annual review and updates to Membership and Development collateral and Member marketing materials
- Using Mailchimp to manage event promotion and communication
- Collaborating with marketing and web teams to monitor and support giving through online channels
- Coordinating the development of all promotional materials including invites, programs, signage and social media
- Coordinating proper stewardship of key institutional funder contacts with Institutional Giving Manager
Other duties as assigned
- Must be a self-starter
- Must be able to build friendly relationships with diverse internal and external constituents
- Must be able to handle confidential information with tact and discretion
- Must be highly organized, with experience setting up systems to track processes and planning in a professional context
- Knowledge of American Indian art, culture, and peoples
- Experience working with databases
- Experience coordinating events
- Minimum 2 years prior event experience preferred
- Background Check required.
- High school required
- Bachelors degree preferred
To apply, send resumé to email@example.com with the subject line: Development Event & Communications Manager. You may also include a cover letter or paragraph explaining your interest in the position.