‘Fiesta de Frida’: Frida Kahlo birthday celebration
Mariachi Pasion performs at Fiesta de Frida, the Frida Kahlo birthday celebration, July 9.
We’re paying tribute to legendary Mexican artist Frida Kahlo with Fiesta de Frida, a celebration of her birthday! Join the Phoenix Fridas, an award-winning Phoenix-based Latina artists collective, who will showcase their art, which will be available for purchase in the Steele Auditorium. Heard visitors will remember the Fridas from their helping us publicize the recent exhibits Frida Kahlo–Her Photos and Las Favoritas de Frida–Selections from the Heard Collection. Winners of two Phoenix New Times Best of Phoenix awards, the group has appeared on the DIY Network’s “Uncommon Threads.” And there’s more:
- Enjoy the sounds of Mariachi Pasion–an all-female mariachi group–performing between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- We’ll also have a spoken-word presentation about the life and works of Frida Kahlo.
- See Ballet Folklórico Ollin Yoliztli perform beautiful dances starting at 2:30 p.m. in the Steele Auditorium.
- As you might expect from a birthday party, we will have fun activities such as make and take crafts and coloring pages, while supplies last. Put your Frida on, because the first 25 Frida lookalikes will get a goodie bag and will strut their looks in a fashion procession. And in homage to the painter who is said to have single-handedly created the selfie trend, a selfie booth with props will be available for pictures.
- Special food and drinks will be available for purchase at the Museum’s Courtyard Café and a gorgeous birthday cake will be served to party guests starting at 3:30 p.m.
Expect to see more of the Fridas here at the Heard in the future. “The collaboration with the Phoenix Fridas has been valuable and we hope to continue with more related events and exhibits!” said Heard curator Janet Cantley.