First Fridays at the Heard: ‘Hot Summer Nights!’
Native + You: August
Join as we celebrate “Hot Summer Nights!” with cool activities that will be fun and spicy:
- 4 to 6 p.m. Come early! The Heard’s famed Courtyard Café will host our first-ever First Friday happy hour, with ½ off appetizers with the purchase of beer or wine. Glasses of wine will sell for $5.
- 6 to 7:30 p.m. The night will also feature a special salsa tasting from the Courtyard Café. If the salsa is too spicy, cool off with Kona Ice – the tasty shaved-ice & ice-cream truck, which will be parked at the museum.
- 6:45 to 7:30 p.m. and 8:15 to 8:45 p.m. Central Phx Salsa dance studio will provide salsa dance lessons!
- 7:30 to 8:15 p.m. and 8:45 to 9:30 p.m. Enjoy music from local Latin jazz and salsa band Ritmo Latino!
- 6 to 8 p.m. Books & More and the Shop will be open for your shopping pleasure. Come to the shop to meet visiting artist Sam Gray (Navajo) where he will have his work to show and sell and talk about Navajo silversmithing!
Plus: Be a Summer Action Hero! Any First Friday evening visitor can see the Super Heroes: Art! Action! Adventure! exhibit free — normally a $5-per-person gate fee — by bringing five items per person of non-perishable food for Society of St. Vincent De Paul food bank. Bring your food items between 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. to our parking lot dropoff station near the rear of Steele Auditorium, just outside the East Exit of our Central Courtyard.
Stephen Pevar, author of “The Rights of Indians and Tribes.”
And: At 6:30 p.m. join Stephen Pevar, author of The Rights of Indians and Tribes, who will be in the Monte Vista Room for a talk, followed by book signing.